Saturday, January 28, 2012

Review-Reviewhan: Same Time Next Year


Nalaman ko lang ang movie na ito dahil kay Florence kasi gusto kong mapanood yung One Day. Kung nabasa or napanood mo na yung One Day, same lang sila ng peg. Actually, I still haven't seen One Day, but based on its trailer, ang unang difference ng movie na ito is the age ng mga characters. Kung sina Anne Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess ay after graduation nag meet, meaning mga nasa 20s pa sila; ang mga characters naman dito sa Same Time Next Year, married na sila.

The plot:

Some time in 1951, Dorris and George met in restaurant, they talk and then woke up in each others arms and naked. They felt guilty on what they did but as what they said, what happened to them feels right. Love at first sight? Well, maybe. But they have to face the reality, they are both married with kids- 4 for Dorris and 2 for George. However they don’t want to ruined their family just because of their selfishness. So before they part ways, they both agree to meet on the same place, same time, next year, hence, the title of the movie.


The movie focused on the 7 different years as Dorris and George meet.  There had a confrontation on their 5th "anniversary"; some years later, there were births, death and marital problems that they were able to share and solved together. 

I'm not supporting infidelity, adultery, 2 timing or any other synonyms nito. Pero as I watch STNY, I cant help to think that what if, that same scenario happens to me, mala- Bakit Ngayon ka lang ang drama. Though isang araw lang sila every year nagkikita, I can't describe their setup as simple lust. For me, it is a different category of a relationship na mahirap bigyan ng pangalan. There's friendship, trust, and love which for me, are very essential in every relationship

Their relationship as narrated in the movie, lasted for 24 years. So they only just see each other 24 times, less than a month but they proved na wala sa haba ng pagsasama or sa dalas ng pagkikita masusukat ang pagmamahal. Siguro, nagtataksil sila sa kanilang mga asawa at anak pero hindi naman masasabing mali kasi alam naman nila ang kanilang limitations. 

Another thing I like in the movie is the theme song The Last Time I Felt Like This... Super nakaka-in love ang song na ito. Here's the lyrics:


The Last Time I Felt Like This- Johnny Mathis and Jane Olivor

Hello, I don't even know your name
But I'm hopin' all the same
This is more than just a simple hello?

Hello, do I smile and look away
Yes, I think I'd smile and stay to see
Where this might go

`Cause the last time I felt like this
I was falling in love
Falling and feeling
I'd never fall in love again
Yes the last time I felt like this
Was long before I knew
What I'm feeling now with you

Hello, I can't wait 'til we're alone
Somewhere quite on your own
So that we could fall the rest of the way
I know that before the night is through
I'll be talking love to you
Meaning every word I say

`Cause the last time I felt like this
I was falling in love
Falling and feeling
I'd never fall in love again
Yes, the last time I felt like this
Was long before I knew
What I'm feeling now with you
Oh, the last time I felt like this
I was falling in love
Falling and feeling
I'd never fall in love again
Yes, the last time I felt like this
Was long before I knew
What I'm feeling now with you


So if you like unconventional romantic movie, I recommend this one. This movie is not recommending or encouraging elicit affairs, but this is the other side of the story. Siguro, totoo nga talagang alapin tayo ng pag-ibig. 


(Side note: Yung theme song pala nito, ginamit din sa movie ni Ding Dong and Marian... eww... lol =))




No comments: